Tuesday, January 31, 2012

DO YOU WANT TO BE CREMATED OR DON’T YOU?




There was a time back in the day when only weirdoes wanted to be cremated. Nowadays, everyone wants to be burnt to a crisp…literally. In fact, it is now nearly 50/50. What the hell happened? Why all of a sudden does everyone want to face the fire? Is it because they all figure they are going to hell anyhow, so why not get a head start fanning the flames?



One fellow explained that it is a fraction of the cost to be cremated rather than being stuck in a casket and lowered into the ground. Of course, much depends on the kind of service you want. A full blown funeral service at a funeral home is far more expensive than a memorial service at a local church. So, I guess that explains why some people prefer cremation. My neighbor is claustrophobic and can’t imagine being confined in a box under ground. Common sense tells me that you ain’t going to really care about much of anything once you’ve checked out. However, he did mention one thing that convinced me to be cremated, and that was when he pointed out that you’re going to spend eternity turning into goo. That thought makes me shudder a bit.



Now, the real problem I have is what should happen to the ashes. My dad had his ashes buried next to mom. That makes sense. My father-in-law’s ashes is another story. He had his divided up into separate little containers and divvied out to his six kids. Good Lord! Does that sound a bit freakish? Others have their ashes sprinkled over home plate or out at sea. They tell me that sprinkling ashes is illegal because it is not environmental friendly. Good grief, the neighbor’s dog can crap in your yard, but ashes are against the law. Go figure.



So, here are my questions to you, because I really do not have the answers. Are you going to be cremated? And what do you intend to do with your ashes? Would love to hear from you. 

6 comments:

  1. Cremate me. I dont care where my ashes go. Put em in an ashtray as far as I'm concerned. Yer dead. We dont care what happens to our bodies when we are gone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. Flush. Ha.
    D.G.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At this time not everything has been completely decided (I hope to have a few more years!!), but ..... my wife is from West Virginia and already has a single person plot. I don't want to be buried in WV although she expects me to be close to her. The resolution .... I'll be creamated even though I'm not overly fond of the idea. I've given strict orders that at least 51% of my ashes will be cast in Seneca Lake to feed the fish by our house (I'm a proud Buckeye!!); the remaining 49% will be buried in an urn on top of my wife. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it (for now)!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As long as the ashes are scattered or buried, I have no desire to become an ornament for the mantle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My wife and I have discussed our plans, which, above all else, are made in consideration of leaving the bereaved partner in the most comforting of possible states. To me, the absolute worst situation arises when there has not been a sincere conversation about one's final wishes and the bereaved is left at the mercy of the pressure tactics of the unscrupulous American funeral industry. "Don't you want the best for him? Don't you want the ceremony to be a testament to your love for him?" When the bereaved is in the most vulnerable of states and not armed with the clear wishes of the deceased, it is all to easy to envision a dynamic in which the family is preyed upon. My clear wishes are for a very small private service for immediate family only, the cremation of my unembalmed remains and the placement of my cremains into the veteran's cemetery of my adopted home state where similar arrangements are made to allow for my partner to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In token of our friendship
    Accept this "Bonnie Doon,"
    And when the hand that plucked it
    Hath passed beyond the moon,

    The memory of my ashes
    Will consolation be;
    Then, farewell, Tuscarora,
    And farewell, Sir, to thee!

    -Emily Dickinson

    ReplyDelete